You don’t have tons of time to work out, so when you do you want to make it count. But sometime, even if you go hard, you don’t see great results. You can change it up with new exercises and harder workouts. But you can also do something easier and very effective: take a pre-workout supplement.
Also called “pre-workouts,” these supplements come in powders, pills, or snack bars. They contain a variety of ingredients to boost energy and athletic performance. They can help you maximize your workout by supercharging your motivation and drive, so that you can finally start seeing results again.
But finding the right a pre-workout supplement can be hard. There are many, all claiming to be the best option for your workout needs. How can you tell which one is going to work for you?
We recently reviewed dozens of pre-workouts to find the best ones for women. Many of these supplements are made for men, designed to build bigger muscles. Since most women only want shapelier figures and toner muscles, these types of “bulk up” pre-workouts aren’t ideal. So we analyzed products made for what women want: more energy, more endurance, less fatigue and muscle pain.
We’ve identified Powher Pre-Workout for Women as our top pick. It uses a low-stimulant system with ingredients that support energy and endurance without the common side effects of some other products.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Pre-Workout Supplements for Women
|Best Pre-Workout Supplement for Women Overall||Powher Pre-Workout for Women||4.7|
|Best Pre-Workout Supplement for Women's Weight Loss||RSP AminoLean||4.3|
|Best Budget Pre-Workout Supplement for Women||Monster Girl Women’s Pre-Workout||4.0|
|Best Caffeine-Free Pre-Workout Supplement for Women||Genius Pre-Workout Powder||4.5|
|Best Natural Pre-Workout Supplement for Women||Organic Muscle Pre-Workout||4.3|
*Ratings are current at the time of publication and can change.
Best Pre-Workout Supplement for Women Overall: Powher Pre-Workout for Women
Powher Pre-Workout for Women tops our list because it’s made specifically for a woman’s body, boosting energy and stamina without leaving you feeling jittery and unwell after your workout like some other male-specific supplements can. The “secret weapon” in this formula is an ingredient called “EnXtra.” It’s a natural caffeine amplifier, which means you don’t have to consume as much caffeine to still get great energizing results. The formula contains only 100 mg of natural caffeine from the coffee bean—about the same amount as you’d get in one cup of coffee. Because of the amplifier, that’s all you need to enjoy increased energy and endurance, greater performance, and lasered concentration.
Powher contains 10 other stimulant-free natural ingredients that work together to give you real results. A potent vitamin B complex including pantothenic acid (B5), pyridoxine (B6), and cyanocobalamin (B12) helps you work out longer without feeling tired while keeping your mind focused on your goals. Vitamin B12 is such an effective nutrient when it comes to energy that the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)—similar to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)—has approved the claim “reduction of tiredness and fatigue” for the nutrient.
Powher watches out for your heart, too. A unique ingredient called “OxyJun” is made from the bark of the Terminalia arjuna tree, which was traditionally used to support the health of the cardiovascular system. Modern research has confirmed its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and cardioprotective actions, which make it the perfect ingredient for intense cardio workouts. Other herbal ingredients help maintain muscle endurance, support healthy blood circulation, and reduce inflammation, so you can recover more quickly from your workout. Simply mix one 10-gram scoop in your drink about 30 minutes beforehand, then see what you can accomplish!
Powher Pre-Workout for Women Key Features:
- Powers up your workout without the common side effects associated with other pre-workout supplements
- Specifically formulated for women without any “bulking-up” ingredients
- Includes a natural caffeine amplifier for improved energy and endurance
- Vitamin B complex reduces tiredness and fatigue
- Natural herbs provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and cardioprotective effects
- Coconut water powder delivers a strong concentration of electrolytes to support normal muscular function (in a 2002 study, researchers found that coconut water was more effective than plain water at providing whole-body rehydration without stomach upset)
Best Pre-Workout Supplement for Women’s Weight Loss: RSP AminoLean
Women wanting to boost weight loss as well as energy may want to choose RSP AminoLean. Like other pre-workout supplements, it has ingredients to boost energy and motivation but then adds a unique blend to help support metabolism and weight management. For energy, the product uses 125 mg of caffeine derived from tea plus theobromine—a natural extract of the cacao plant linked with promoting wakefulness and boosting mood. For weight management, you’ll find green tea, green coffee bean extract, and L-carnitine. Tea and coffee support the body’s fat-burning capabilities, while L-carnitine, an amino acid, supports energy burn.
If you want to get strong while you’re losing weight, don’t worry—this supplement has you covered there, too. It includes an amino acid blend designed to give your muscles what they need to repair themselves and rebuild after a workout. Because of this addition, you can use this supplement before your workout to boost your energy and improve your performance or use it afterward to help improve post-workout recovery.
This comprehensive pre-workout supplement has zero calories, carbs, and sugars, but does use the artificial sweetener sucralose to make the drink taste good. Reviewers say that it helps boost energy and stamina for your workout, promotes a lean look, helps increase satiety and reduce snacking, and improves post-workout recovery.
RSP AminoLean Key Features:
- Boosts energy before a workout
- Weight management blend supports weight-loss
- Improves post-workout recovery
- Contains no calories, carbs, or sugars
- Comes in several flavors, including pink lemonade, fruit punch, strawberry kiwi, and more
Best Budget Pre-Workout Supplement for Women:
Monster Girl Women’s Pre-Workout
If you want to boost energy and performance but you don’t want to spend a lot doing it, Monster Girl Women’s Pre-Workout is the choice for you. It has 100 mg of caffeine for that energy kick you need, plus guarana extract for reducing fatigue and improving focus.
Other ingredients include: Ginseng—great for improving fatigue and post-workout recovery, Yerba mate—increases energy and focus, Cayenne pepper—supports calorie burn, Vitamin B6—provides lasting energy, Apple cider vinegar—helps support weight loss, and Garcinia cambogia—a tropical fruit that helps put the brakes on your appetite.
If you’re concerned about artificial ingredients, you won’t have any worries with Monster Girl. It contains zero artificial ingredients and no preservatives or additives. It’s made in the USA in a GMP certified and FDA registered facility to protect your safety, and comes in a bottle with 60 tablets, for a total of 30 servings. Reviewers say that this product is energizing without creating the jitters, and is particularly effective when you just don’t feel like working out.
Monster Girl Women’s Pre-Workout Key Features:
- Boosts energy with caffeine, yerba mate, and guarana extract
- Supports your weight loss goals with cayenne pepper and Garcinia Cambogia
- Motivates you to workout when you need to
- No additives or preservatives
- Effective pre-workout for a reasonable price
Best Caffeine-Free Pre-Workout Supplement for Women:
Genius Pre-Workout Powder
If you want to increase your energy before your workout but you’d rather avoid caffeine, try Genius Pre-Workout Powder. Labeled a natural “nootropic” pre-workout, it uses natural ingredients that work on your brain’s motivation to exercise. Ingredients like the following help improve your mood, focus, and attention so that you get more out of your workout: Huperzine – an extract from Chinese club moss, it helps increase levels of good mood neurotransmitters in the brain. Taurine – an amino acid particularly concentrated in the brain. L-tyrosine – an amino acid that helps produce dopamine, which regulates reward and pleasure centers in the brain.
All of these ingredients help you feel more mentally energized and ready to workout. The product also contains 150 mg of ElevATP, which supports increased lean muscle and strength while improving performance and reducing fatigue. AlphaSize acts to optimize muscular power output while delaying mental fatigue, and CarnoSyn decreases the discomfort of muscle burn while delaying muscle fatigue.
Other ingredients meant to support your fitness goals include stress-reducing astragalus and cardioprotective Rhodiola Rosea. You won’t get any flavors or dyes, however, and the drink is sweetened with stevia leaf. Expect more endurance during your workout and a faster recovery when you use Genius.
Reviewers love that this product is caffeine-free and made with natural and herbal ingredients. They also say it helps them feel more focused and driven during their workouts.
Genius Pre-Workout Powder Key Features:
- Uses natural herbal ingredients to help increase energy and focus
- Optimizes muscle power and delays muscle fatigue
- Helps you workout longer
- No artificial flavors or dangerous stimulants
Best Natural Pre-Workout Supplement for Women: Organic Muscle Pre-Workout
Organic Muscle Pre-Workout is the perfect product for women who prefer organic ingredients and plant-based products. It contains certified organic ingredients that give you a clean, powerful energy boost while extending your endurance so you can get more out of your workout.
The 100-percent natural vegan ingredients are sourced from USDA organic, eco-friendly farms. You won’t find any GMOs, gluten, dairy, fillers, hormones, soy, added sugars, or artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners, or preservatives. Instead, you get plant-based ingredients like the following: Improves blood flow – pomegranate, beetroot, goji berries, blueberries. Boosts energy – maca root, coconut water, ginseng, green coffee bean, yerba mate. Supports healthy metabolism – matcha green tea, green tea, acai, berries
Everything is certified organic, including the small amount of rice syrup and coconut palm sugar, which together with the natural passionfruit guava flavor, make the drink taste great. You’ll enjoy improved strength and athletic performance without the jitters or post-workout crash you may experience with some pre-workouts. Your muscles will recover faster, too, all with a natural formula that fits perfectly into your clean-eating lifestyle. Reviewers rave about how this product boosts energy and focus without causing the jitters or any other possible side effects of caffeine. They also say it tastes delicious and they feel good using it because of its natural ingredients.
Organic Muscle Pre-Workout Key Features:
- Made with 100 percent certified organic ingredients
- Uses plant-based ingredients to boost energy and performance
- No artificial ingredients, dyes, or preservatives
- Perfect for those living a clean lifestyle
Who Should Buy Pre-Workout Supplements
There are several reasons why you may want to add a pre-workout supplement to your fitness routine. The first is that you’ve hit that “wall” in your workouts, and you’re no longer seeing any improvements. If you take a pre-workout supplement about 30 minutes before your workout, you’ll feel more energy going into that workout, which will enable you to step up your intensity a little bit. That’s going to shake things up for your body and push you past that frustrating wall.
Another reason to consider a pre-workout supplement is if you’ve lost your motivation to exercise. Maybe you’ve been doing it for a while and your motivation is waning. Or maybe your busy schedule makes it difficult to find time to exercise, so you have to do it either first thing in the morning when you’re feeling groggy, or in the evening when you’re tired after a full day’s work. In these cases, a pre-workout supplement can help boost your energy so you feel more like you can manage that workout, leaving fatigue behind.
Finally, you may simply want to work out a little harder or a little longer than you have been. You haven’t come up against a wall, but you want to push yourself a little more. Maybe you have an ultimate goal you’re trying to reach or a competition to prepare for. In either of these cases, a pre-workout supplement can be a useful tool in reaching your fitness goals.
If you’re looking for an additional supplement to reach your fitness goals, then why not check out The Best Post-Workout Supplements?
Important Features to Consider
When shopping for pre-workout supplements for women, consider the following features:
- Energy. Most pre-workout supplements are designed to stimulate your energy and focus. Caffeine is a popular ingredient for accomplishing this, and it’s safe in most cases. If the supplement includes high amounts, however, it may cause side effects like jitteriness, headaches, anxiety, and insomnia. Up to 400 milligrams (mg) a day seems safe for most adults, but that’s assuming you’re breaking up the caffeine intake throughout the day. Taking more than 100-200 mg at a time in a supplement may create side effects.
- Stimulants. Though most pre-workout supplements contain safe ingredients, some of them include potentially dangerous stimulants that can have adverse health effects. The FDA filed criminal charges against USPLabs, the makers of Jack3d and OxyElite Pro, because they included a dangerous amphetamine precursor called 1,3-dimethylamylamine (DMAA). This ingredient is not on the FDA’s list of approved supplement ingredients and is linked to liver damage and even death. Newer formulations of these products don’t contain DMAA, but other supplements may have similar ingredients that can harm the heart. Always check the ingredient label and do your research to be sure your supplement is safe.
- Creatine. This is a common ingredient in pre-workout supplements as it can help improve muscle performance and production. It boosts energy production in muscle cells while drawing fluids into the muscles so they operate more efficiently. Men in particularly frequently look for this ingredient to help them build muscle. Women who don’t want to bulk up may prefer less creatine in their formulas.
- Blood flow ingredients. Many pre-workout supplements contain ingredients niacin (vitamin B3) that can improve blood flow, widening blood vessels and helping the muscles to get the nutrients they need to perform optimally. Some other ingredients like beetroot juice and L-arginine are included for the same reason.
- Artificial sweeteners. Most pre-workout supplements come in powder form and are meant to be mixed into a drink. To make them taste good, manufacturers may add artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols. These add sweetness without adding calories, but they can also trigger digestive upset. You may want to avoid products that contain these or at least try a small amount first to see how they affect you.
- Safety. When buying supplements, be aware that some may include ingredients that could be dangerous to your health. Look for those sold in a trusted store, or if shopping online, check to see if the supplement has been tested by a third party, such as NSF International or USP.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I use a pre-workout supplement?
Most people do just fine exercising without a pre-workout supplement, but if you’re struggling to reach your fitness goals, you may want to try one. They are particularly helpful for boosting energy before a workout, so if you’re having trouble dragging yourself to the gym, you may be a good candidate for one.
What are the benefits of a pre-workout?
Pre-workout supplements help boost energy so you feel more motivated to workout. They may also allow you to work out longer at a more intense level so you get more results than usual. They can prevent premature fatigue while reducing protein breakdown so your muscles get stronger sooner. Some improve blood circulation as well, making your body more efficient during your workout, while others provide ingredients that support normal nerve function, making your muscles more responsive. Finally, they may help your muscles recover faster so you suffer less muscle pain the next day.
If you’re also wondering if a pre-workout supplement will help you lose weight, the answer is probably. Some pre-workout supplements are designed to assist you in your weight-loss goals. They probably won’t help you lose weight on their own, but they can reduce your appetite, support your body’s ability to burn fat, and give you the energy and stamina you need to work out longer and harder, all of which will make it more likely that you’ll lose weight.
What happens if you take a pre-workout every day?
Pre-workout supplements can be a beneficial tool to use as you work toward your fitness goals, but if you use them incorrectly, they may cause uncomfortable side effects. Most contain caffeine, for example, so if you take them too often or use high amounts, you may suffer side effects like jittering, cramps, anxiety, vomiting, insomnia, and even high blood pressure.
Check the ingredients, particularly the caffeine level, and then be sure to follow the directions on the label and use only as much as is recommended. If you notice side effects, back off to about half the recommended dose.
Does a pre-workout supplement affect your heart?
A quality pre-workout supplement is meant to help your body workout more efficiently, and that includes your heart. In most cases, the supplements are safe for your cardiovascular system, but do be careful of the caffeine content. Combining high doses of caffeine from your supplement and your coffee or soda can lead to heart-related side effects like increased blood pressure and heart rate.
Other Pre-Workout Supplements for Women We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other pre-workout supplements for women. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best pre-workout supplements list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for boosting energy and endurance during your workout. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Weight-Loss Pre-Workout Supplements
- Strength-Building Pre-Workout Supplements
- Caffeine-Free Pre-Workout Supplements
- Energy-Boosting Pre-Workout Supplements
- Natural Pre-Workout Supplements
Weight Loss Pre-Workout Supplements
Like our top pick for weight loss, this RSP product also helps your body burn fat while supplying crash-free energy and promoting appetite control.
- Supports your weight-loss efforts
- Crash-free energy with caffeine and linoleic acid
- Improves mental focus without the jitters
Cost: $30 for 30 servings
This supplement includes 135 mg caffeine for a quick energy boost along with a weight loss blend meant to help your body burn more fat.
- Boosts energy with caffeine and taurine
- Sport performance blend of linoleic acid and L-carnitine tartrate
- Sugar-free and NSF certified
- Available in two flavors
Cost: $23 for 30 servings
Get it all with this product—energy, focus, weight-loss support, and muscle-building power. In addition to the standard caffeine (150 mg), you also get L-theanine and other brain-focused ingredients meant to help you focus.
- The weight-loss blend includes L-carnitine and coffee seed extract
- Caffeine and L-theanine for energy and focus
- Great for long-distance running and extended workouts
- Available in two flavors
Cost: $21 for 30 servings
Custom-formulated for women, this product provides clean, lasting energy, faster fat-burning, and more productive workouts.
- Designed specifically for women
- 175 mg caffeine plus velvet bean extract to elevate mood
- Theobromine helps suppress the appetite and curb cravings
- Non-GMO and gluten-free
Strength-Building Pre-Workout Supplements
Get serious about your strength workout with this supplement, which is scientifically crafted using the latest cutting-edge research on strength and performance ingredients.
- 180 mg caffeine for energy and focus
- Nitric oxide boosting supplement sends blood to the muscles to maximize output
- No artificial fillers or food dyes
- Available in nine flavors
Cost: $25 for 30 servings
A little more expensive than some of the other supplements listed, this one features higher doses of many ingredients, including 500 mcg of vitamin B12, 274 mg of caffeine, and 850 mg of L-tyrosine.
- High doses of most ingredients
- Helps you workout longer and harder
- Best for serious athletes
- Available in three flavors
Cost: $40 for 20 servings
This supplement is focused on energy and muscle-building and gives you significant doses for a reasonable price.
- Beta-alanine, creatine, and L-arginine for muscle-building
- Caffeine (135 mg) and L-tyrosine for energy
- No sugar, carbs, or aspartame (uses sucralose)
- Available in four flavors plus “unflavored”
Cost: $12 for 33 servings
Focused on increasing strength, this supplement includes 6 grams of L-citrulline malate, along with 1.6 grams of beta-alanine.
- Made for increasing strength and muscle power
- Includes 200 mg caffeine for fast energy
- Also includes 200 mg L-theanine to boost brain neurotransmitters
- Start with a smaller dose and work up if needed
- Available in seven flavors
Caffeine-Free Pre-Workout Supplements
Avoid the caffeine with this pre-workout alternative. It uses nootropic ingredients like taurine to focus the brain and increase pre-workout energy.
- Heavy-hitting nitric oxide booster
- Simple supplement with clearly outlined ingredients (no proprietary names)
- Available in four flavors
Cost: $26 for 20 servings
This powerful caffeine- and sugar-free supplement boosts blood flow to the muscles with beetroot extract while increasing mental focus with GABA and L-tyrosine.
- Nitric-oxide booster with natural beetroot extract and arginine
- GABA and L-tyrosine improve mental focus
- Cherry limeade flavor
Energy-Boosting Pre-Workout Supplements
If you have a high tolerance for caffeine and you really need energy for your workout, this is the supplement for you.
- High caffeine: 350 mg
- L-theanine enhances mood and prevents a post-workout crash
- Reduces fatigue and boosts muscle gain
- 16 different flavors!
Cost: $35 for 21 servings
Another high-caffeine supplement, BSN Endorush also focuses on boosting muscle power and supporting peak endurance.
- High caffeine: 300 mg
- Patented pump technology to boost muscle growth
- Supports intense energy and focus
- Seven different flavors
Cost: $20 for 30 servings
This high-energy supplement combines caffeine with other energy-boosting ingredients like L-tyrosine and agmatine, which helps enhance endorphin production.
- 175 mg caffeine plus agmatine to boost energy and mood
- “Clean” energy to help you avoid post-workout crashes
- Safe nitric oxide booster
- Two different flavors
Cost: $30 for 30 servings
Formulated specifically for women, LadyBoss boosts workout motivation, ignites fat loss, extends endurance, and enhances mood.
- Formulated specifically for women
- Includes a stress-relieving blend of L-tyrosine and ashwagandha root
- Enhances weight loss while boosting energy
- Combines caffeine with cymbidium goeringii extract (increases energy and helps adapt to stress)
Cost: $60 for 30 servings (a smaller serving is possible, which would extend the servings to 60)
This high-energy supplement starts with 250 mg of caffeine, then adds other ingredients like creatine and beta-alanine to support muscle work.
- High caffeine: 250 mg
- Boosts muscle output with creatine and beta-alanine
- Made by trusted brand GNC
- Gluten-free and sugar-free
- Available in six flavors
Cost: $40 for 30 servings
Runners can rejoice at this supplement that was made specifically for them. Includes energy-boosting caffeine plus additional ingredients to improve focus and concentration.
- 200 mg caffeine plus focus-inducing L-tyrosine and L-theanine
- Designed to enhance energy, focus, stamina, and power
- Extends running endurance
- 100 percent guaranteed to reduce half- and full-marathon run times or your money back!
- Available in two flavors
Natural Pre-Workout Supplements
Vegans will love this pre-workout supplement made with no added sugars, fillers, artificial sweeteners, colors, or flavors.
- 200 mg caffeine from unroasted coffee beans
- Includes a B-vitamin complex for energy and muscle support
- Enhances athletic support with L-arginine and beta-alanine
- Third-party tested for purity, safety, and nutritional value
Cost: $40 for 50 servings
Made with USDA-certified organic and locally sourced ingredients, Ora Organic provides a natural energy boost that’s jitter-free with no crash.
- Organic, vegan, and paleo- and keto-friendly
- 90 mg caffeine from organic green coffee beans, plus organic yerba mate and matcha for a clean energy boost
- Includes a blend of stress-relieving plant-based ingredients
- Promotes healthy blood flow with nitric-oxide-boosting beetroot and pomegranate
- Third-party tested for purity, safety, and nutritional value
Cost: $35 for 20 servings
Though not all organic, this supplement still advertises plant-based, natural performance ingredients to boost energy, build muscle, and increase focus during your tough workouts.
- Plant-based ingredients
- 150 mg caffeine from organic green coffee beans
- Includes an amino-energy trio to promote muscle growth, endurance, and recovery
- Adds tart cherry to protect against post-exercise muscle pain
- Fully hydrating with coconut water and electrolytes
Cost: $38 for 30 servings
This is not an organic product, but it boasts natural sweetener organic pure cane sugar while avoiding artificial sweeteners like sucralose.
- 250 mg caffeine
- The vitamin-based formula includes B-vitamins, vitamin C, and calcium
- Includes tyrosine to improve alertness and focus
- Promotes muscle strength and endurance with arginine and creatine
- No artificial sweeteners or colors
Cost: $38 for 20 servings