Showering a pregnant woman with gifts feels right. She’s carrying and preparing to bring another life into the world, and that deserves celebrating . . . and gifting. But finding the perfect gift isn’t always easy. You have to take into account your relationship with the mother-to-be, her likes and needs, and, of course, your budget. You also need to decide whether you want to pamper her or help her get prepared for what’s to come.
We reviewed dozens of gifts for pregnant women to uncover the best of the best. In our search, we looked for shower gifts, birthday gifts, and even gifts from the father-to-be. We found items that will let her relax and unwind and others that will have her organized and ready to go once baby comes. Most importantly, we found gifts that will let the soon-to-be mom know that she’s loved and cared for.
The Bag Nation Diaper Bag Backpack is like a mobile baby station. Bottle pockets, wipe holder, and adjustable straps let her get comfortable and stay organized. Beautiful, water-resistant fabric makes sure that getting caught in the rain won’t be a problem. That fabric also comes in handy for those times when the baby spits up or drops a bottle on the backpack. The cleaning ease and organization options make this the perfect gift for a pregnant woman.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Gifts for Pregnant Women
|Best Overall||Bag Nation Diaper Bag Backpack||4.8|
|Runner Up||Canon SELPHY CP1300 Wireless Compact Photo Printer||4.4|
|Best Budget Buy||Baby Be Mine 3-in-1 Hospital Gown||4.4|
|Best Baby Shower Gift for Mom||DaVinci Olive Upholstered Swivel Glider||4.5|
|Best Expectant Mother Gift Basket||Aveeno Baby Essential Baby & Mommy Gift Set||4.7|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Bag Nation Diaper Bag Backpack
The Bag Nation Diaper Bag Backpack has enough space for everything a new mom needs. Diapers, wipes, toys, keys, phone—there’s a space for everything. The exterior has six pockets, including a wipes dispenser and an insulated bottle pocket. Her cellphone and keys can safely zip into the upper exterior pocket for quick access while pacifiers and teethers fit perfectly into the bottom flap pocket. There’s also a key lanyard, so she doesn’t have to dig through everything when it’s time to get in the car.
The exterior’s twill polyester fabric resists water. Whether she’s caught in a sudden rain shower or a bottle spills, this fabric can easily be wiped clean and dried. The stitching resists fraying and strong zippers mean she can pack it as full as she needs to.
The interior has another seven organization pockets, including zippered and elastic options. Diapers, extra clothes, and snacks easily fit in the main compartment along with the included changing pad and sundry bag. The sundry bag could be used for almost anything. A few extra items for mom or it could hold plastic bags into which she can put baby’s soiled clothes while they’re out and about.
Bag Nation Diaper Bag Backpack Key Features:
- Fourteen (14) pockets, including both interior and exterior pockets
- Wipes dispenser
- Water-resistant fabric
- Padded back and shoulder straps
- Key lanyard
- Includes sundry bag and changing pad
Our Runner Up Pick: Canon SELPHY CP1300 Wireless Compact Photo Printer
The Canon SELPHY CP1300 Wireless Compact Photo Printer lets mom instantly print all the pictures she can’t help but take. Once she’s downloaded the Canon print app, she can print pictures from Instagram and Facebook as well as the ones she takes with her phone. The wireless connection makes it that much easier to put photos into frames or the hands of eager grandparents and friends. The printer can also do photo booth layout prints or collages for creations worthy of hanging in your home. It can print four different sizes—4″x 6″, 2.1″x2.1″, 3″x5″, 2.1″x3.4″.
It includes several connectivity options. She can directly connect with a USB cord or use a memory card from a digital camera. This printer is small enough that she can take it with her to grandma’s house or to a playdate so she can create and share memories with friends too. A 3.2″ LCD screen makes it easy to pick and choose the pictures as well as scroll through settings. It can even accept photos from several devices at once to create a collage using everyone’s pictures.
It runs on a battery and comes with a compact charging cord. The printer is compatible with both iOS and Android devices, and she’ll need an internet connection to get it set up and for occasional updates.
Canon SELPHY CP1300 Wireless Compact Photo Printer Key Features:
- Dimensions: 7.1″(W) x 5.4″ (D) x 2.5″(H)
- Prints four photo sizes
- Full color
- Rechargeable battery
- Compact charging cord
- Compatible with iOS and Android devices
Our Budget Pick: Baby Be Mine 3-in-1 Hospital Gown
It’s hard to feel like yourself in a stiff, impersonal hospital-issued gown. The Baby Be Mine 3-in-1 Hospital Gown comes in 24 fun colors and prints for a personal touch and extra comfort. A hospital or birthing center may already feel foreign and unfamiliar. Helping her feel comfortable and beautiful will ease the transition into this new part of her life. A gathered neck and empire waistline allow this gown to adjust to her pre- and post-pregnant body.
The front slit remains discreetly hidden but provides access for examinations, checking the baby, and delivery. Snaps run up the back so it can remain sealed or opened if needed for an epidural or other medical procedures. The shoulder straps also unsnap for that first try at nursing and late-night feedings. The 100 percent cotton fabric breathes to help regulate body temperature and will only soften with time.
Baby Be Mine 3-in-1 Hospital Gown Key Features:
- Hidden front slit
- Twenty-four (24) patterns and colors
- Back snap closures
- Shoulder straps snaps
- Gathered neck and empire waist
- 100 percent cotton fabric
Best Baby Shower Gift for Mom: DaVinci Olive Upholstered Swivel Glider
Let the new mom take a load off her feet with the DaVinci Olive Upholstered Swivel Glider. Simple modern lines accentuated with stunning piping bring sophistication to the nursery. This isn’t your traditional glider. It brings style to the nursery. She can rest her feet on the ottoman and adjust the lumbar support pillow to make sure she’s set for those late-night feedings. The arms are at a good height to prop up the elbows while feeding baby.
The DaVinci gives mom some extra views with a 360-degree swivel. A high back offers head and neck support, which both parents will need when they’re trying to keep their heads up after a long day. The fabric on the DaVinci is free of chemical flame retardants, PBDEs, and formaldehyde. It has a narrower seat than some designs, which makes it ideal for smaller nurseries or corner spaces. Please note: The ottoman does not glide.
DaVinci Olive Upholstered Swivel Glider Key Features:
- 28 x 34 x 40 inches
- Five (5) color options
- 360-degree swivel
- Free of chemical flame retardants, PBDEs, and formaldehyde
- Includes (non-gliding) ottoman
Best Expectant Mother Gift Basket: Aveeno Baby Essential Baby & Mommy Gift Set
The Aveeno Baby Essential Baby & Mommy Gift Set has a little something for the two people who need it most. Let’s start with baby first. Aveeno is well-known in the baby world for their gentle products and commitment to wholesome ingredients. This set includes their tear-free Wash & Shampoo, Aveeno Baby Calming Comfort Lotion, and Aveen Baby Calming Comfort Bath. Aveeno relies on some of nature’s best ingredients like oatmeal, chamomile, and lavender oils. Lavender, in particular, has been shown to be a stress-reliever that promotes sleep. While the lotion won’t make the baby fall asleep, the touch of massage and the scent of lavender moves him in the right direction.
However, the baby is not the only one who needs extra care. This set also includes Positively Radiant Daily Moisture Lotion with sunscreen and Daily Moisture Body Wash for mom too. For mom, feeling clean and refreshed will help her get through the long, sometimes sleepless days ahead. You don’t need to worry about ingredients. This set is completely free of parabens, dyes, and phthalates, so only the purest ingredients touch mom and baby. It also comes with a canvas tote to keep it all together.
Aveeno Baby Essential Baby & Mommy Gift Set Key Features:
- Three (3) baby items: Aveeno Baby Wash & Shampoo, Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Creamy Wash, Aveeno Baby Soothing Moisture Cream
- Two (2) items for mom: Aveen0 Daily Moisture Body Wash, Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisture Lotion with Sunscreen
- 100 percent natural canvas carryall
Who Should Buy a Gift for a Pregnant Woman
Co-worker, neighbor, friend, or family—if you have a personal relationship with the expectant mother, chances are you’ll want to give her a gift. Whether this is her first baby or her fifth, there’s always something needed before a baby arrives. There are the practical gifts like diapers and wipes that cut down on her expenses and the luxurious gifts like lotions, massage oils, and pajamas that give her comfort in the last days of pregnancy and the first few days of motherhood.
The closeness of your relationship with the mother-to-be should guide your gift choice. Something practical would be more appropriate from a colleague, while a personal touch would be welcome from a neighbor or friend. Don’t get too hung up on price. The gift doesn’t need to be extravagant to be loved. Find out what she needs or likes and use our guide to direct your decision.
Important Features to Consider
There’s a wide array of gift possibilities for a pregnant woman. However, there are a few features you need to think about before you buy, and here’s what you need to consider:
- Ingredient safety. Anything that is used directly with a baby and nursing mother has the potential to be absorbed into the body. Natural and/or organic products are more likely to be free of harmful chemicals, including Phthalates, PBDEs, VOCs, steroids, and parabens. Be wary of products that contain artificial dyes and fragrances as these can irritate sensitive new skin.
- Durability. You’re buying a gift for mom, but the chances are that baby could get ahold of it at some point too. Look for items that are durable. Mom may be trying to carry a baby, diaper bag, and groceries, so her possessions need to be able to keep up with her workload. Reinforced zippers, water-resistant materials, and heavy stitching are helpful as she’s navigating a world with a second person in tow.
- Mom vs. baby. A gift for the baby might be extra diapers and onesies. Of course, you can also go with something that’s purely for mom like noise-canceling headphones or an Echo. But really, mom will appreciate anything that makes her life easier. As long as you’re thinking about mom when you make the purchase, you really can’t go wrong with this one.
- Ease of cleaning. Life gets complicated when you add a completely dependent human being. Spit up, formula, lotion, and eventually, snacks will get in every crack and crevice. Machine washable or water-resistant fabrics are essential for mom to keep her sanity. Bottles and toys that are dishwasher safe are helpful too.
- Ease of use. Mom might be doing a lot of activities one-handed. She’ll thank you for strollers, nursing covers, and car seats that can be managed with a single hand. Items with simple instructions and controls that don’t require extensive scrolling through menus and lists will be easier to handle during sleep-deprived days. Voice activation and control can simplify life too.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much should you spend on a gift for a pregnant woman?
Let your budget and the closeness of your relationship with the mother-to-be should guide your price range. You don’t need to feel obligated to reach a certain dollar amount. If you’re close to the mom, you’ll probably feel more comfortable spending more money. If your budget is limited, but you want to get her something expensive, talk to a few friends or family members and pool your money for a larger gift.
What do you give a newly pregnant friend?
Finding out you’re pregnant is exhilarating, but it’s also scary. If she’s a first-time mom, books about pregnancy and raising a baby are great ideas. You might also consider a baby name book or some comfortable yoga pants that will expand with her growing belly. Anything that will calm her anxiety makes a good gift.
What do pregnant women need?
A pregnant body changes rapidly. Items that can adjust with her disappearing waistline can ease her transition into the later stages of pregnancy. Pregnancy books, a changing pad, diaper bag, a pregnancy, or nursing pillow are all examples of items that will make life easier both before and after the baby comes. She may also need baby gear like a car seat, stroller, or baby swing. Check with her or a close friend to get an idea of what’s on her wish list.
How do you pamper a pregnant woman?
Her body works hard to provide everything the baby needs, so comfort is key. Pajamas, slippers, bathrobes, and stretchy clothes with soft waistbands will feel great against her skin and grow with her. Items like face masks, lotions, and bath bombs that let her pamper herself at home can help her unwind after a busy day. Anything that lets her kick back and take a load off her feet will bring the luxury she craves.
Other Gifts for Pregnant Women We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other gifts for pregnant women. While they didn’t make our top five list, there are still some excellent gifts worth considering. We’ve included information about each one to help you make your decision.
- Baby Shower Gifts for Mom
- Expectant Mother Gift Baskets
- Gifts for a Pregnant Wife
- Birthday Gifts for a Pregnant Woman
Baby Shower Gifts for Mom
Mom is going to spend a good amount of time on her knees for the next few years. This handy set protects knees and elbows while she does bathtime.
- Four (4) large mesh pockets
- Velcro strap attaches the knee pad to elbow pad for easy storage
- Machine washable
This sign is the perfect gift for the family with a four-legged friend, and it gives well-wishers a heads up when mom or baby are taking a nap.
- Dimensions: 6″ x 12″ x .75″
- Includes attached rope hanger
- Rustic, farmhouse finish
This kit includes everything she needs to remember those first precious weeks.
- Wood frame
- Alphabet and date stamp
- Three (3) packs of non-toxic clay
With 21 color options, you’re sure to find a bag that the mom-to-be will like. An insulated bottle pocket and a separate wet cloth pocket lets her keep everything organized, dry, and ready to go.
- Insulated bottle pocket
- Exterior wipes dispenser
- Waterproof fabric
Once that third trimester hits, the nesting urge begins. Help mom get ready with the gift of organization.
- Includes six (6) shelves and two (2) pockets
- Attaches with three (3) XL straps
- Dimensions: 20.5″ x 19″
A diaper caddy brings mobility to diaper changes and keeps supplies together and organized. It’s got plenty of room for diapers, wipes, diaper cream, and even an extra onesie.
- Side zip pocket
- Reinforced edges
- Three (3) compartments and six (6) exterior pockets
For sharp snapshots of baby’s life, give her a camera that’s easy to use and produces stunning pictures. This model connects through Bluetooth or WiFi for quick downloads.
- ISO 6400, 7.4 fps continuous shooting
- Full HD video recording
- NIKKOR f/3.0 6.5 millimeter ED Lens
Expectant Mother Gift Baskets
A little tummy honey butter and a good soak in the bath will be great for her skin and let her pamper herself too.
- Tummy Honey Butter
- Silk and Honey Body Moisturizing Cream
- Momma Soak Sitz Bath
You can get her prepared for the hospital with one all-inclusive kit. From toiletries and slippers to a comb and chapstick, she can rest easy knowing everything she needs is ready and waiting.
- Includes twenty (20) items
- Lightweight carrying bag
- Includes hand cream, scrunchie, and socks
Gifts for Pregnant Wife
The Echo Show 5 is like a personal assistant, speaker, and clock all rolled into one. She can make phone calls, read recipes, or set timers all completely hands-free.
- 5.5″ smart display
- Create to-do lists, check the weather, or scan movie times
- Control smart home
Give her the gift of a good night’s rest. This pregnancy pillow supports her back, knees, and belly, so she can rest easy.
- Jersey knit cotton cover
- Six (6) color options
- Supports head, neck, back, hips, and knees
Comfort doesn’t come any better than this. UGG makes high-quality slippers that she can wear indoors or while she runs errands.
- 100 percent leather
- Rubber sole
- Lined with pure wool
Pamper her with the gift of massage. This model works on the neck, back, and feet, hitting all of her trouble spots.
- Massage the neck, back, calves, and feet
- Dust resistant cover cloth
- Includes car AC adapter
Birthday Gift for a Pregnant Woman
Moms-to-be can record everything from the first kick to the first time she looks at her baby. It’s a great keepsake for her and one she can share with her baby as he grows up.
- Record hopes and dreams
- Remember birth experience
- Includes places for baby’s first moments
Whether she’s taking a quick nap or snuggling into bed, this throw will keep her warm and cozy throughout her whole pregnancy.
- Five (5) sizes
- Thirteen (13) color options
- Machine washable
Her growing belly puts extra pressure on her back and sides. This pillow offers support by releasing the back muscles while she lies on her side.
- 2-sided design with soft and firm sides
- Memory foam interior
- Soft, washable velboa cover
Compression socks prevent the swelling that will be more common as she heads into the third trimester.
- Twenty-eight (28) color and design combinations
- Two (2) sizes
Those feet will start swelling, and nothing will feel better than a good massage.
- Independently adjustable foot chamber
- Heat and air pressure adjustments
- Two (2) remote controls
She can soothe her morning sickness and relieve her stress with these flakes, which are loaded with magnesium.
- Made of 100 percent dead sea salt
- Free of artificial fragrances and dyes
- Harvested in Israel
This pregnancy body oil is designed to moisturize and prevent stretch marks.
- Increases skin elasticity
- Wild rose scent
- Contains arnica, wild rose oil, and sweet almond oil