At some point in our lives, we all went through a phase where skateboarding was the coolest thing in the world. Over the past decade, the sport has taken on a new look, and we have electric skateboards now. Some of these babies can take you up to 20 miles at speeds reaching 25 miles per hour. We live in a pretty cool world, don’t we? Imagine the look on your kid’s face when you tell them you got them a skateboard. Little do they know, it rides itself up and down the driveway.
We’ve reviewed dozens of electric skateboards to find the best, high-quality, and reliable boards that offer the most perks for both adults and children. During our research, we considered factors like ease of use, battery life, maximum speed, and safety features. We narrowed down our search to 5 of the top-rated electric skateboards that you can use to earn some brownie points with your kids.
During our extensive research, we decided to choose the NPET Pro Electric Skateboard as our top pick. It offers a sleek and portable design. The board also comes with three-speed settings and a max range of 10 miles. If you’re worried about whether or not your kids will use it, there is also a no-questions-asked 180-day money-back guarantee so you don’t have to worry about that either.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Electric Skateboards
|Best Electric Skateboard Overall||Swagtron Swagskate NG3 Electric Skateboard||4.0|
|Runner Up Remote Control Electric Skateboard||Hiboy Electric Skateboard||4.1|
|Best Budget Electric Skateboard||Swagtron Swagskate NG3 Electric Skateboard||4.2|
|Best Off-Road Electric Skateboard||Outstorm Off Road Mountain Longboard||4.7|
|Best Fully Loaded Electric Skateboard||Skatebolt Tornado Pro||3.8|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Electric Skateboard Overall: Swagtron Swagskate NG3 Electric Skateboard
The Swagtron Swagskate NG3 Electric Skateboard reaches speeds of 9.3 miles per hour and is capable of traveling up to 6 miles between breaks. The board is lighter and more portable than other e-skateboards on the market, making it all thew more portable. This fact is due to the lightweight wood choice used on the board and the minimalist design of the power hub underneath. The wheels on this e-board are a polyurethane and just under three inches in diameter, and the deck is made of that same durable material.
You won’t need a remote starter, either; the smart sensors will be able to detect when you dismount so that you won’t need to worry about it driving off without you. (Nor will the wasted battery be a concern.) That battery has also passed a series of rigorous quality check tests, so you won’t ever be getting a bad battery.
Swagtron Swagskate NG3 Electric Skateboard Key Features:
- 90 minute battery charge time
- >8 lbs
- 19.6 x 8.8 x 5.3 inches
Remote Control Electric Skateboard: Hiboy Electric Skateboard
This board comes in two different designs. There is a basic black and a black and red option. Hiboy uses upgraded materials and technology in the design of this board. The end result is a lightweight and stable e-skateboard that only weighs 7.94 pounds. The powerful hub motor offers speeds of up to 12.4 miles per hour and a max distance of 6.2 miles per charge.
The Hiboy Electric Skateboard comes with four ride and brake modes exclusive to this brand of board. Each mode provides a careful taper when accelerating and braking, so you don’t have to worry about your kids ending up on their back. The wireless remote control design is nice because it allows you to control your speed more comfortably.
Hiboy Electric Skateboard Key Features:
- Weighs 8.3 pounds
- Reaches top speeds of 12.4 miles per hour
- Has a total range of 6.2 miles
- Comes with a wireless remote housing a rechargeable battery
Best Budget Electric Skateboard: Swagtron Swagskate NG3
This mini electric skateboard packs quite a punch. It weighs only 7.7 pounds, but it still offers 8.9 inches of deck space. The extra space provides you with all the room you need to coast up and down the sidewalk. The Swagtron Swagskate NG3 reaches max speeds of up to 9.3 miles per hour, and it has a weight capacity of 150 pounds. One of the best features of this board is that it only takes 1.5 hours to charge. If you or your kids aren’t ready to put the board away, it’ll charge right up, and you’ll be back out.
One amazing component of this board is the “push to use” design that relies on your body weight to determine where you want to go and how fast. The smart sensors will detect when you’re on the board, and the second set of sensors will pick up on your motion. As you kick, the board will start to speed up automatically by determining that you want to go faster. If you aren’t kicking, the board will realize that you’re trying to slow down and do just that.
Swagtron Swagskate NG3 Key Features:
- Board weight is 7.7 pounds
- Reaches max speeds of 9.3 miles per hour
- Climbs at a capacity of five degrees
- Utilizes smart sensors to accelerate and brake
Best Off-Road Electric Skateboard: Outstorm Off-Road Mountain Longboard
Here is a powerful longboard with a 3300-watt motor reaching speeds of up to 31 miles per hour. This board boasts cinematic tires that are perfect for off-roading. They are 7.8 x 2-inch tires that provide the sturdy and balanced feeling you need to stay on the board no matter where it takes you.
This motorized skateboard also comes with a wireless remote control that makes it easy to control your speed. The ergonomic design of the board allows you to switch between high and low speed, and there is even a reverse mode. It reaches a complete charge in four hours and can travel a total mile radius of up to 19 miles on a single charge. The Outstorm Off-Road Mountain Longboard is proving to be a great birthday gift for the adventure junkie in your life.
Outstorm Off-Road Mountain Longboard Key Features:
- 7.8 inch pneumatic tires
- Reaches a full charge in four hours
- Can hit a max speed of 31 miles per hour
- Comes with a wireless remote control
Best Fully Loaded Electric Skateboard: Skatebolt Tornado Pro
The Skatebolt Tornado Pro is overflowing with cool features that are sure to stand out amongst the crowd. First, you have the fantastic cruise control that allows you to set it and forget it. There is also a screen display remote control that will tell you your current speed, battery life, range, and mode. The longboard itself has eight layers of northeast maple that make it sturdy and allows it to boast a capacity of 280 pounds.
Adding to the features, you also get two red taillights to ensure safe riding when the sun goes down. They blink to warn oncoming vehicles, and they light up brighter when you apply the brakes.
This incredible longboard reaches max speeds of 25 miles per hour, with a range of 18.6 miles. The board makes a great alternative to public transportation for adults, and it’s an awesome gift for the kids in your life.
Skatebolt Tornado Pro Key Features:
- 25 mile per hour max speed
- 18.6 mile range
- Comes with a screen display remote
- Comes with cruise control features
Who Should Buy an Electric Skateboard
When considering whether or not to purchase an electric skateboard, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, have your kids ever rode a standard skateboard before? If they have, they are likely ready to upgrade to something more fun and exciting. Having a board that moves itself is not only more fun, but it provides your kids with a feeling of independence.
Maybe now they can take themselves down the street to their favorite hang out spot or over to their friend’s house on their own when they don’t feel like riding the bike. Electric skateboards are also loaded with safety features like remote control, speed settings, and taillights to help keep them safe when they’re riding out of your sight.
Important Features to Consider
An electric skateboard should offer a few of these cool features. Here’s what to consider when selecting an electric skateboard for the kids in your life:
- Speed controls. We’ve talked about this a few times, but it’s essential to have different speed settings on the electric skateboard. There are many situations that your kids will encounter on the board that will require different speeds. Some of the boards have settings that are based on movement and weight distribution. This style helps control the speed based on the way they lean on the board. These settings are important for the safety and enjoyment of the e-board.
- Wireless remote controls. If the board doesn’t have weight speed controls, they’ll likely have a wireless remote that allows them to control the speed using a trigger similar to that of a bike handle. These controls are nice because they allow you to gradually increase and decrease the speed of the board, which is especially important when they are first learning how to use it.
- Lightweight portability. When the kids are done riding their boards, they will still need to carry them around and store them somewhere. When you compare an electric skateboard to a regular one, it’s hard to put the weight of the two up against each other. The standard board will always weigh less because it doesn’t have the battery pack. It’s important to keep this factor in mind when choosing your board. If you’re worried about it being too heavy or bulky, there are plenty of mini-board options that are both lightweight, and they still offer the speed and enjoyment of a full-size board.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an electric skateboard and how does it work?
An electric skateboard is the same as a regular board. The main difference is the use of a battery pack that propels the wheels forward and backward. In many cases, brakes are applied similar to how a bicycle would work.
How much does an electric skateboard cost?
During our research we discovered how much prices can vary with electric skateboards. They can range from as cheap as $99 to as much as $1,000 for off-road and all-terrain boards.
Are electric skateboards legal?
The laws may vary from state to state but we will use California as an example to give you an idea of some of the laws. In California, you are only permitted to ride and electric skateboard on roadways that have a speed limit of 35 miles per hour or less. That means you cannot ride the board on freeways, interstate highways, or expressways.
In addition, you can only travel up to speeds of 15 miles per hour regardless of what the speed limit is on that specific roadway. Other laws include requiring a helmet, a white headlight if traveling at night, yellow reflectors on the sides of the board, and a red reflector at the rear.
If you’re under 16 years of age, you’re also not allowed to ride the board in public and you can get cited by law enforcement if you’re riding the e-board under the influence as you would in a motor vehicle.
Do you have to wear a helmet on an electric skateboard?
Yes, you still need to wear a helmet. While many can reach speeds of up to 20 miles per hour, it’s important that your kids understand the dangers and responsibilities of riding these. As long as they follow the proper safety procedures, wear protective gear, and pay attention while they are riding they should have no problem enjoying their new electric skateboard while staying safe.
Other Electric Skateboards We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other electric skateboards. Even though they didn’t make our five best electric skateboard list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great choice for the adventure junkie in your life. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
With top speeds of 17 miles per hour and a max of 8 miles for riding time, this electric skateboard brings a lot to the table.
- Charges in 3 hours
- Easy to hold wireless remote
- Made of maple wood and bamboo
This 37 inch longboard is 8.7 inches wide and has a maximum load of 200 pounds. It offers high-performance with two motors and top speeds of 22 miles per hour.
- Weighs 14.5 pounds
- Travels 9-11 miles on a single charge
- Made from Canadian Maple
The remote control features three speeds offering reverse capability which makes this board a great choice for beginners.
- Max speed of 12.4 miles per hour
- Automatic power-off in 5 minutes
- Weighs 12 pounds
This board is powered by a 125-watt motor and features high-grip urethane wheels for enhanced stability and grip.
- Max speed of 10 miles per hour
- Up to 40 minutes of continuous use
- 29.7 inch deck length of 5-ply maple
Features a 450-watt motor with speed controls that adjust as you shift your body forward and back on the board. Sensors pick up this movement and adjust accordingly.
- No remote required
- 18 mile per hour max speed
- Can travel at inclines of up to 15 degrees
Remote Control Longboards
This board boasts a 900 watt motor and a high-quality deck constructed of polycarbonate and sea glass. This feature makes the board flexible, balanced, and lightweight.
- 21 mile per hour max speed
- Comes with four different ride modes
- Travels between 9.3-12.4 miles on a single charge
Here we have an option similar to the Tornado Pro but it’s lighter and more affordable. This board boasts 8 layers of northeast maple supporting 265 pounds of max weight.
- Four speed modes
- Top speed of 26 miles per hour
- Comes with cruise control feature
With long range and high speed your kids can have everything they want with this mini-board. It has a 350 watt motor and a wireless remote with two speed settings.
- Speeds up to 12 miles per hour
- 10 mile travel distance per charge
- 27.5 inch deck of 7-play maple
Feel the wind while traveling up to 20 miles per hour on this 11-layer maple longboard.
- Comes with wireless control and three speed modes
- Climbs up to a 20% grade hill
- Max distance of 10 miles per charge
Here is a strong and durable board made of 6-layers of maple and 1-layer of bamboo. The board offers a 250 watt motor with regenerative braking.
- Top speeds of 16 miles per hour
- Max range of 9.3 miles
- Easy to change direction and brake
Mini Electric Skateboards
This lightweight board only weighs 7.9 pounds so it’s easy to travel around with and carry inside places as you go.
- Screen display remote control
- Made of 7-ply maple wood
- Max speed of 12.4 miles per hour
Reach speeds of up to 20 miles per hour on your mini board. This one offers three ride modes and travel distance of up to 14 miles.
- Only weighs 16.8 pounds
- Boosted wheels for a super smooth roll
- Comes with a deep dish deck for stability
This mini board offers three speed modes and 7-layer maple construction for durability and portability.
- Weighs 17.6 pounds
- Comes with a three speed setting motor
- Uses precision bearings in the wheels for great mobility
The remote control is back with this portable electric skateboard. It boasts 7-pay maple for strength and durability and it supports up to 243 pounds with non-slip surface grips for comfort.
- Max speed of 11 miles per hour
- 400 watt motor
- Fully charged in 1.5 hours
This affordable mini-board gets the job done with a 450 watt motor and tires that allow it to travel on different terrain. It also comes with an easy to use wireless remote control.
- Max speed of 15-18 miles per hour
- Travel up to 9 miles with a two hour charge
- Comes with a six month warranty
Other Electric Skateboards
If style is your game then you’ll want this board. This one offers high-performance and a sleek design that is currently the thinnest electric skateboard on the market.
- Adjustable speed remote
- Max speed of 15 miles per hour
- Fully charged in two hours
This high performing electric skateboard reaches speeds of 22 miles per hour and can handle a 25% grade hill with ease.
- 10-lay Canadian maple deck
- Wireless LCD monitor remote
- Max weight of 220 pounds
Stand out from the crowd with this unique board. It boasts a unique design that only uses one center wheel to control the board and it propels itself using weight distribution similar to a hoverboard.
- Max weight of 220 pounds
- Reaches speeds of 12 miles per hour
- Not intended for uneven terrain
The drift plate design of this board allows users to drift 36 degrees in each direction as they ride. You can travel up to six miles on this baby with a 22 volt rechargeable battery.
- Drift board
- 10 mile per hour max speed
- Polyurethane wheels with non-slip grip tape deck
This durable board has 9 layers of Canadian maple. The board is intended for users between age 6-18.
- 400 watt brushless motor
- Travel speeds of up to 10 miles per hour
- Responsive braking system